IWSG: Should Writers Believe in Muses?

I know a lot of writers who don’t believe in muses. Sometimes I don’t believe either. I’m a scientifically minded guy. The idea that little magical fairy people are assigned to us writers at birth, that they’re supposed to teach us and guide us through our writing journeys, occasionally providing little flashes of inspiration… none of that sounds particularly scientific.

And that’s okay.  If you’re a writer, you don’t have to believe in muses.  The important thing is that no matter what, your muse still believes in you.

Today’s post is part of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group, a monthly blog hop where insecure writers like myself can share our writerly worries and offer each other advice and encouragement.  To learn more about IWSG and to see a list of participating blogs, click here.

18 Responses to IWSG: Should Writers Believe in Muses?

1. DRShoultz says:

If I have a muse, it works overtime some days.

I always love your cartoon memes. They’re great!. Happy IWSG!

3. Nita says:

Enjoyed your cartoon! And well, I guess all of us have a muse. It resides within us!

4. TuiSnider says:

Love the comic! I sometimes muse about my muse. I certainly love that feeling when a new idea flutters in, even if I don’t quite understand how it happens! ~Tui, dropping by from @TuiSnider on Twitter for IWSG.

Thanks for stopping by! Musing about muses… yes, that sounds like a thing I do. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to trick my muse into showing up more often.

5. When you put it that way, it sounds like a story in itself!

6. CV Grehan says:

Nothing I love more than a doodle. My muse on the other hand…truth is…my muse is an asshole. Can I say that here? Lazy too. Makes me do all the work. (Nice post, JS!)

7. Ryan Carty says:

I don’t know if I believe in a muse, but I do like to pretend they’re real. I trust that feeling more often than I should, maybe.

8. I love the cartoon you have created for this. I don’t know if I believe in a muse, but if she is there she sure gets insecure and uncertain. Then just when I am thinking of quitting unexpectedly springs up!