IWSG: A Muse’s Apprentice

Insecure Writers Support Group Badge

We all know writers feel insecure sometimes. That’s what the Insecure Writer’s Support Group is all about. What we writers might not realize, or may sometimes forget, is that our muses get insecure too.

With that in mind, I’m going to turn the floor over to my muse. She has something to say, and maybe it’s something you or your muse would like to hear.

* * *

We all know the rule: one muse per writer. There just aren’t enough of us fairy-folk around to start doubling up. But I wish I could have a helper or an assistant or something. I wish I had an apprentice muse working under me. Then I could really get stuff done.

Sp07 Two Muses

The truth is I can’t do everything myself. I can put as many ideas into my writer’s head as I want, but that doesn’t mean he’ll write them down. You know how humans are. They’re easily distracted. Their minds wander. They keep complaining about being “too tired.”

It would be nice if I could get some help. Unfortunately, King Oberon and Queen Titania have rejected my requests to start a muse internship program. That leaves me only one option: I’ll have to convince my writer to pull his own weight. Well, that plus the weight of a pen, I guess.

That way, when I give my writer ideas, he’ll be able to move his own hand over to the paper, without any magical help at all.

24 Responses to IWSG: A Muse’s Apprentice

1. Jiuhl says:

IWSG looks interesting. I’d join if I had a writer’s blog. 😦

• James Pailly says:

I mean, my blog is primarily a science blog. Anyone can join. I don’t like telling people that they should or shouldn’t sign up for something, but I’ve found IWSG to be a very positive way to get the month started.

• Jiuhl says:

Right. I mean I don’t have a blog in which I make chatty posts or publish small or sample work. I set my blog up as a serial book. I couldn’t participate. I’d just be mooching, reading other people’s blogs. I may still do that when I see it linked, but I couldn’t add it to my wordpress reader because the group is hosted on blogger.

• James Pailly says:

I got you. For a time, I tried doing IWSG on my Tomorrow News Network site, and they did feel really out of place mixed in with a bunch of short stories.

What I need is a muse that can take my basic words and polish them up into words that sound like a real author wrote them. that’d speed up my writing process considerably.

3. Erika Beebe says:

I would very much like the same thing. Especially those days when my mind is a little foggy and no matter how hard I try I can’t pull a sentence together and make it pretty.

4. lauraclipson says:

“Easily distracted” “Minds wander” “Too tired”…yeah those all sound like me! I feel sorry for my muse…

5. cgcoppola says:

Too funny! And great artwork 😉

6. I’d be happy to take some of those ideas off your hands…

7. Love it. Such a fun post.

8. I would be more than willing to take on an intern. No prior experience needed. They can learn on the job.

9. I have to admit that my most productive writing was when I did Nanowrimo and was forced to produce 2000 words a day. I hated it. But I also wrote.

10. Lidy says:

A muse internship program huh? I like the sound of that. Can come in handy on days when the writing well is dry.