Hello, friends, and welcome to another meeting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group.  Do you feel insecure about your writing?  Are you looking for support?  Then this might be the right group for you!  Click here to learn more!

Each month, the Insecure Writer’s Support Group offers an optional question, something to help get these I.W.S.G. posts started.  This month’s question has to do with secrets.  What secrets do we writers have that our readers would never know based on our work?

At the moment, my biggest secret is that I’m suffering from a bad case of imposter syndrome.  My first book is coming out pretty soon.  In fact, it comes out tomorrow.  I worked really hard on it, and… well, I just hope people like it.

But what if they don’t!?!  Oh no!  People will think I’m a hack writer, a fraud, or something equally reprehensible!!!

A lot of my friends, both online and in real life, have been congratulating me and telling me how excited I must feel.  And yes, I do feel excited.  But I’m feeling other emotions as well.  There’s a cyborg character in my book who can select which emotions he wants to experience and which emotions he does not.  He can turn his emotions on and off with the flick of a switch.

I wish I could do that.  I’d leave my excitement running and switch everything else off.  But I’m no cyborg.  I’m only human, and being human is not so easy.  The best I can do is set those other emotions aside with the promise that I will deal with them later.  In the meantime, I need to keep blogging.  I need to keep marketing my work.  And above all else, I need to keep writing, because this book that comes out tomorrow—that book is just the beginning.

P.S.: For those of you who may be interested, my book is a novella-length Sci-Fi adventure story entitled The Medusa Effect.  It’s the first in a series of novella-length Sci-Fi stories about a journalist who travels through time, covering the galaxy’s biggest news stories before they happen.  Click here to buy the book on Amazon, or you can read it for free with Kindle Unlimited.

1. Kate Rauner says:

I’d say… try not to check on the book hourly, but I know how hard it is to resist.

2. Amazing! What an accomplishment. I know it’s hard to put yourself and your work out there. But, you published. That’s more than a lot of other people. Know that I am impressed 😃

3. There’s always someone who doesn’t like a book, but you need to ignore them and listen to the ones who love it. I can’t wait to read it and I’m really excited for you!

4. peterjfoote says:

Hooray for you, looking forward to reading it!

5. I’d second what Jennifer said. Most people I know who put out a book get a nasty review early on. There appear to be people who live to do that kind of thing. If you get one, don’t let it get you down.

One thing that gives me comfort is knowing that just about everyone suffers from imposter syndrome. I’ve suffered it in everything I do my entire life. You write well and are not an imposter!

Looking forward to reading the book!

6. I think that day is coming. I hear they’re working on electronic eyes (at the ISS maybe?). I wouldn’t mind one of those (she says as her left eye is going bad).

Sorry to hear about your eye. I have some issues with my left eye as well. It’s a birth defect in my iris. It’s not a big problem, it’s just kind of annoying sometimes. If there’s ever a technological fix for that, I would absolutely take it.

7. emaginette says:

Everything you’re feeling is normal. Try to bask in your success. Worry about the rest later. 🙂

Congrats again.

Anna from elements of emaginette

8. Congratulations!
    You have to experience the whole thing. It will be worth it.
    Cyborg drawing is really cool.

9. Steven Rose, Jr. says:

The illustration of your cyborg is really neat. The plot to The Medusa Effect also sounds interesting.

10. ahtdoucette says:

Ooo, I have Kindle Unlimited and I like cyborgs. I have also occasionally wished I could turn my pesky emotions off – while in public anyway. Then, later (maybe much later) face those pesky emotions in private where no one mean can see you cry. Too bad it doesn’t work that way. I will have to look into this time traveling cyborg book. That’s two boxes checked for me.